Many people might be imagining various kinds of birds harmoniously sharing a bird feeder or splashing around a bird bath. In reality the usual animal kingdom rules also apply to the birds – bigger and stronger creatures will be the ones who get the biggest share. Often smaller birds don’t even dare to visit bird feeders that are popular among their bigger counterparts.
To take care of the tiniest visitors like finches, chickadees and titmouse you might consider getting a bird feeder designed specifically to accommodate these birds. You will mostly see 2 types of small bird feeders that are designed to ensure that small birds won’t be bullied or scared away by bigger ones:
- Caged small bird feeders that have a metal cage wrapped around a tube feeder. It only allows smaller birds to access the tube feeder inside as bigger birds won’t fit in between the cage wires.
- Bird feeders that are difficult to use for bigger birds. These are designed so that bigger birds have to take uncomfortable positions to get food or just don’t have enough space to access the feeding hole.
Based on the reviews, material quality, price and functionality I’ve narrowed down 5 best small bird feeders that you can order from the comfort of your home.
Let’s get browsing!
- 7 Types Of Bird Feeders: Here’s How To Choose
- 10 Best Bird Feeders: Bird Watching Expert Buyer’s Guide in 2022
- Top 15 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders – Review of 2022
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Small Bird Feeder Reviews
- 1. Gray Bunny Caged Tube Feeder: Amazon best seller
- 2. Roamwild Squirrel Proof Wild Bird Feeder: Fully Squirrel And Large Bird Proof
- 3. Woodlink Modern Farmhouse Caged Bird Feeder & Solar Light: Best Designed Small Bird Feeder
- 4. Westcharm Rustic Metal Caged Bird Feeder: For Vintage Design Fans
- 5. Birds Choice NP435 Bird Feeder, 12-Inch, Green: For Less Seed Refills
- Final Thoughts
5 Best Small Bird Feeder Overview[amazon table=”2428″]
5 Best Small Bird Feeder Reviews
1. Gray Bunny Caged Tube Feeder: Amazon best seller
It’s hard to beat the price and quality ratio of this bird feeder for small birds. It also happens to be one of the most sold small bird feeders on Amazon. Precisely sized openings allow inside smaller birds but not squirrels and larger, undesirable birds. However some people in the reviews section still report squirrels accessing the food by chewing through the plastic. So if you live in an area with a lot of these hungry visitors, this bird feeder might not be fully protected from their damage.
The cage is made of premium steel and as the manufacturer says it’s built to last a lifetime. The enclosed seed housing keeps up to 2.5 cups of seeds and four well-spaced feeding ports allows for multiple birds to feed simultaneously. Another great feature is that the manufacturer GrayBunny offers a 90 day money back guarantee. However, hopefully you will be too busy watching songbirds feasting at the feeder to use that option.
- Affordable price
- High quality built
- 90 day money back guarantee
- Some determined squirrels can still access the feeder
2. Roamwild Squirrel Proof Wild Bird Feeder: Fully Squirrel And Large Bird Proof
This small bird feeder promises to 100% deter any pests and larger birds. They have a unique technology that make it happen – when a large bird, squirrel or rat lands on the perch, the perch hatch moves downwards closing off access to the food. Once the frustrated pest or bird moves off the perch, the hatch automatically returns to its open position awaiting for a small songbird visitor.
There is no assembly required – it’s ready to be put up on a tree right after unboxing. For refilling you just need to open the top lid. However you won’t need frequent seed refilling as it already fits 3 lbs of bird seed.
- Unique method to keep large birds and pests away – perch hatch that automatically closes and opens
- Large bird seed capacity
- No assembly required
- More on a pricier side
If you’re tired of the typical bird feeders and are looking for more elegant decoration for your yard, check out the Woodlink caged bird feeder. This is a sleek looking small bird feeder that also comes with a solar light. During a sunnier day the solar panel receives enough light to power the LED light for 5 hours in the night. It will bring a cozy atmosphere to your evenings in the garden.
The glass reservoir inside holds 0.7 quarts of bird seed which is on a smaller side but as refilling is very easy it shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. This small bird feeder also comes with a metal hanger and is quick to set up and hang in your backyard.
- Great design and quality
- Comes with solar powered LED light
- Durable metal construction
- Small seed capacity
4. Westcharm Rustic Metal Caged Bird Feeder: For Vintage Design Fans
Westcharm has designed a very sturdy, rustic caged bird feeder for small birds that will also serve as an unique garden decoration. It also functions great. Thanks to the sturdy metal cage, squirrels and larger birds are discouraged to get in and small birds such as finches, nuthatches and songbirds can dine in peace.
The reservoir inside holds a generous amount of up to 3 ½ cups of seeds. This small bird feeder is also very quick to refill. It comes with a hanger but due to it’s flat bottom you can also place it on a flat surface. In that case be aware of cats and other animals that might interrupt the birds’ feasting.
- Beautiful antique design
- Can be hung or put on a flat surface
- Easy to refill and maintain
- Some medium sized birds can still peek inside
5. Birds Choice NP435 Bird Feeder, 12-Inch, Green: For Less Seed Refills
While there are many caged small bird feeders on the market, Birds Choice has chosen to go for a different approach. Their bird feeder is designed so that the feeding holes are comfortably accessed only by smaller feathered creatures.The clear squirrel baffle around it serves as a deterrent for squirrels while at the same time protecting birds from the rain and snow and restricting access to the feeding ports for bigger sized birds.
This bird feeder has a large bird seed capacity. It can hold up to 5 lbs of bird seed which will spare quite a lot of time refilling. The build is very steady and it’s made from durable, UV-resistant materials that will stand up to harsh weather and general wear.
- Squirrel baffle also shields birds from rain and snow
- Large seed capacity
- Durable materials
- Some medium sized birds can still learn to access the seeds
Are you looking forward to welcoming little songbirds into your yard? Thanks to their creative method to keep large birds and pests away, my top choice for a small bird feeder would be Roamwild Squirrel Proof Wild Bird Feeder. However, there are other bird feeders for small birds that have a better design or lower price tag. Which one would you go for?