A bird feeder is a must-have for any avid bird watcher. Whether you are looking to attract small songbirds or larger birds of prey, there are many options available on the market.
To help you find the best metal bird feeders on the market in 2022, we have compiled a list of our favorites!
Table of Contents
- How to choose a metal bird feeder
- 5 Best Metal Bird Feeders
- 1. Sahara Sailor Bird Feeder, 2 in 1 Wild Bird Feeders for Outside: Great 2- in-1 Design
- 2. Good Directions Castella Bird Feeder, Polished Copper: Best design
- 3. Monarch Pure Copper Bird Feeder and Bath: Also Works As A Bird Bath
- 4. Perky-Pet Squirrel-Be-Gone II Feeder Home with Chimney: Biggest Capacity Bird Feeder
- 5. Perky-Pet RSB00343 Red Seed Ball Wild Bird Feeder: A Popular Choice
- In Conclusion
How to choose a metal bird feeder
Metal bird feeders are an excellent, economical choice for a bird feeder. They are aesthetically pleasing and come in a variety of shapes and sizes – from small, decorative ones to large, heavy-duty ones you can mount on your house or deck railings.
Metal is one of the sturdiest materials that you could choose for your bird feeder. It can survive not only all kinds of weather but also heavy outdoor use by dozens of birds every day. This is why it is the material frequently used for bird baths.
As the price is reasonable, metal feeders are one of the most popular choices among home bird watchers, who want to attract more birds to their gardens and enjoy watching them from a close range.
The main advantage of metal feeders is their resilience to the elements. It’s difficult to damage them, and if they do get damaged (or rusty), you can easily replace the damaged parts.
Although most of the metal feeders are made from strong and sturdy materials such as stainless steel, there is always a chance that you may find one with a weaker design. To avoid wasting your money on a poor-quality product, it is highly recommended you check out reviews left by previous buyers.
After all, many bird feeder manufacturers offer only two or three different designs of their products, so there is a high chance that other people have already tried the model you are planning to buy.
Although buying a metal bird feeder is considered to be one of the safest choices, there are also some disadvantages that you should know about. Metal feeders can easily become very hot during sunny days – so do not place them in direct sunlight, especially if you live somewhere with a warm climate.
The most common materials for a metal bird feeder:
- Stainless steel is the most popular type of material used in manufacturing bird feeders for many years now. It has several advantages compared to other metals like iron or aluminum, such as being rust-resistant and more durable.
- Aluminum is one of the lightest available types of metal used for bird feeders, which makes it very easy to carry them around the garden. It rarely causes any undesirable chemical reactions with food, but its surface can quickly become rusty if exposed to moisture for too long.
- Copper is mostly used in combination with other materials because it tends to be rather expensive. Its main advantage comes from its unique smell that many animals perceive as delicious, which means that you will always have a lot of visitors.
5 Best Metal Bird Feeders Overview[amazon table=”2969″]
5 Best Metal Bird Feeders
1. Sahara Sailor Bird Feeder, 2 in 1 Wild Bird Feeders for Outside: Great 2- in-1 Design[amazon box=”B08D3FQTF3″]
The Sahara Sailor Bird Feeder is made of metal mesh and copper. It’s a 2-in-1 bird feeder for outside, which can be used to feed peanuts, cracked corn, hulled sunflower, pumpkin seed, and is excellent for millet, red milo, nyjer or thistle, white proso millet, milo etc.
The top has a locking mechanism to keep squirrels or other animals from lifting the lid and gaining access to the seed reservoir. Squirrels will fail to reach the seed and fall off while attempting to steal.
It comes with a twist-lock cover to keep the lid safely closed, and the seeds are fresh and dry inside. The clear panels make it easy to monitor seed levels instantly. When it comes to refilling it, turn to unlock, lift the lid, and pour the seed into the tray without any mess.
- 2-In-1 Bird Feeder
- Squirrel-proof metal bird feeder, with a top with a locking mechanism
- Easy to fill and clean
- Some people report it becoming rusty over time
2. Good Directions Castella Bird Feeder, Polished Copper: Best design[amazon box=”B01AX2C4RQ”]
This Good Directions Castella Bird Feeder is a metal hanging bird feeder made of powder-coated steel and features a polished copper turret roof that soars to a graceful peak. The lipped feeding tray prevents waste and keeps seed dry for your feathered friends.
It comes in 2 styles and is easy to hang, fill and clean. It’s built of high-quality materials so will last for years to come.
- High-quality copper which is durable and long lasting
- Great design
- Drain holes that prevent waste and keep seed dry
- On the pricier side
3. Monarch Pure Copper Bird Feeder and Bath: Also Works As A Bird Bath[amazon box=”B079R9T425″]
The Monarch Abode Pure Copper Hand Hammered Bird Feeder is a beautiful addition to your outdoor decor. The copper and black iron combination makes it a perfect fit for any patio or garden area. It can be used as a bird bath or as an elevated bird feeder, making it the perfect choice for those who love watching birds from their window.
This hand-hammered copper feeder will add a touch of class to your yard. The base is made of heavy-duty iron which gives it a very elegant appearance. Assembly is also very easy – it’s a 1-step process.
- Elegant design
- Very durable and long-lasting
- Comes with a hanging option
- Might get tipped over by heavier winds
4. Perky-Pet Squirrel-Be-Gone II Feeder Home with Chimney: Biggest Capacity Bird Feeder[amazon box=”B000A0OMSG”]
The Perky-Pet Squirrel-Be-Gone II Home – Style Bird Feeder keeps your delicious meal safe from the furry, scaly thieves. Dominant birds and squirrels won’t take advantage of this feeder thanks to an innovative weight-activated perch bar which closes when tampered with, while smaller birds get to snack without upsetting the food chain.
This feeder has a unique design that allows you to hang it from a tree branch or mount it securely to a post. It holds up to 8 lb of mixed, black oil sunflower, hulled sunflower, or safflower seed and comes with an attached metal roof and cap for added protection against rain and snow. This bird feeder is easy to fill and clean; simply lift the metal roof off the top of the feeder and add your favorite seed!
- Cute design – the feeder looks like a little house
- Large bird seed capacity
- Great quality for the price
- The perch has only enough space for a few birds
5. Perky-Pet RSB00343 Red Seed Ball Wild Bird Feeder: A Popular Choice[amazon box=”B0040QAE2O”]
Looking for a durable and squirrel-proof bird feeder? The Perky-Pet Red Seed Ball Wild Bird Feeder is your perfect solution. This feeder attracts a variety of bird species to your yard, including cardinals.
The round seed tray and all-metal mesh surface create a large feeding area, allowing up to 10 birds to feed at once. It is one of the best metal mesh bird feeders on the market.
The mesh makes the perfect landing place for clinging birds, while perching birds appreciate the circular seed tray. From grosbeaks and finches to chickadees and cardinals, you’ll be able to attract a variety of your favorite bird species to this feeder. This wild bird feeder holds 1.12 lbs of seed.
- Simple design – easy to fill and clean
- Can accommodate up to 10 birds at once
- Rust-resistant and squirrel-proof
- Quality could be better
There are many metal bird feeders on the market that offer a variety of features and benefits. You will find some with perches, others with seed storage capacity for up to 20 pounds of food, while still more have been designed specifically for winter use in cold climates or can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
With so much variety available it may seem difficult to make your selection.
All our recommended models come at a reasonable cost without sacrificing quality. We encourage you to consider all these factors during your search and then simply pick from any model we recommended here today.