You wake up to a beautiful melody from your backyard and you wonder what creature makes such a beautiful sound. You slowly creep out and find colorful little birds fleeting from one flower to another, sipping sweet nectar. There’s no doubt about it, you have hummingbirds in your area. If you want to attract more of the same in your garden, why not use the best hummingbird feeder?
6 Best Hummingbird Feeders of 2022 Comparison
What To Look For When Buying A Hummingbird Feeder
Hummingbirds are a joy to have around! In many ways, they can give a much-needed brightness for your day, and life to every backyard garden. Small in size but big on singing, just the sight of a hummingbird hanging around your area would make your day complete.
As a longtime bird watching enthusiast, I cannot count just how many times people have asked me how to attract such magnificent, little creatures. And my answer is always the same: the secret lies with your bird feeder. So how do you pick the perfect hummingbird feeder for you? Here are some of the factors we should consider when buying a hummingbird feeder.
The Perfect Size
Hummingbirds are not big birds, and that is part of their charm. They do not need such big bird feeders when they can only take so much space themselves. The key here is to find the perfect feeder size. However, there are a number of factors to consider here. For one, the size should be relative to your area. Make sure to get a feeder that you can accommodate in your space without hassles.
Also, consider many hummingbirds are in your area. If there is only a handful, a five to 12-ounce feeder would be enough. If there are dozens, a 20-ounce jar feeder might be necessary. Since hummingbirds are only small birds and are lightweight, you will find no problems there.
The Perfect Make
There are a number of materials that are used when manufacturing hummingbird feeders. There are wooden feeders, which makes feeding easier for hummingbirds since they mimic a natural feel. Good wooden feeders will have a special coating that aims to avoid moist preservation in the wood, while subpar wooden feeder mostly does not, which spells out trouble in the long run. Plastic feeders are probably the most common make for hummingbird feeders. They are widely available, lightweight, and also cost cheaper than most bird feeders.
The Perfect Price
Although the price may give you a hint about a products quality, it is not a guarantee that the more expensive the feeder, the better. Bowl-type hummingbird feeders are usually cheaper because their capacity is smaller and it uses fewer materials, while inverted jar type of hummingbird feeders are more expensive because it uses up more materials. Nevertheless, you should always compare the price against the benefits and features of a product to properly assess its value.
Choosing the top one isn’t easy. Who has the time to test out all these feeders to find out which one works best? I do. And believe me when I say I’ve tried dozens already. And from those I’ve tried, I’ve narrowed down to a list of the best ones. Here are my top recommended hummingbird feeders for you to choose from.
Top 10 Best Hummingbird Feeder Reviews
1. Our #1 Pick: First Nature 3055 Hummingbird Feeder
Are you searching for the best feeder to use in your property? With this bird feeder from First Nature as our top pick, you can be sure to have a good time in your backyard when the hummingbirds come.
I absolutely love this product. It is lightweight and easy to use. Its bright red color is very tactical, as it attracts birds into it. Although it is made of plastic, it is very tough as it can survive falling to the ground. Moreover, the reservoir is wide enough for anyone to refill. Finally, this bird feeder is easy to clean when it is dirty. All it takes it clean water and soap to remove all the dirt, grime, and bird poop.
What I don’t like about this bird feeder is the fact that it is very lightweight. It can be easily blown away even by the slightest breeze. I had to reinforce the hook to stop it from being blown away.
- Its bright red color easily attracts birds
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Too light that it can be easily blown by a strong breeze
- The bright red color attracts the most inquisitive hummingbirds
- With easy to fill wide mouth jar reservoir and two part base
- Easy to clean with just warm soapy water
- Feeding ports accommodate several hummers at a time
2. Runner-Up: Aspects HummZinger HighView Hummingbird Feeder
Our runner up on this list is this small bird feeder made by Aspect. If you need a compact bird feeder that is easy to use and clean, then the Aspects HummZinger HighView is the one for you.
I really enjoy using this particular bird feeder as it is compact, lightweight, and easy to use. I can hang it in any place where birds are usually seen. The usual place where I hang this is in my backyard. It has a hook that you can use to hang on a branch, a windowsill, or even on a clothesline.
The design of this bird feeder is fantastic. The nectar or water is easily accessible to the birds because it is placed on a shallow reservoir. In addition, it has a perch where multiple birds can enjoy feeding at the same time. The upper part of this feeder really catches the attention of the birds because of its red color.
What I don’t appreciate about this feeder is, like our top pick, how easily it can be blown away by the wind. I have to pick it up and place it back whenever it gets blown away. I believe that this kind of hassle can be prevented if only the makers thought of a locking mechanism on the hook.
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Has a perch to accommodate 4 birds at the same time
- Can be easily blown away by a strong breeze
- The feeder includes a high view perch that invites hummingbirds to rest comfortably as they drink from any of four feeding ports while also...
- Bright red cover attracts humming birds from a distance and is easily removed so the bowl can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly.
- Constructed of unbreakable polycarbonate.
- 4 feeding ports.
3. Budget Pick: First Nature 993051-546 Hummingbird Feeder
My budget pick on this list is the First Nature 993051-546 Hummingbird Feeder. If you want a feeder that is durable, easy to use, and of course budget-friendly, then this product will not disappoint you.
This bird feeder is one of my favorites because it has an easy to fill jar that provides sweet nectar to hungry Hummingbirds in my area. Its bright red color catches the attention of the birds, making it easy for me to take a picture of them feeding. I also like that this feeder has a stable perch. This feature accommodates multiple birds, allowing them to feed at the same time.
Another feature that I thoroughly enjoy is how easy it is to clean. All it takes is clean water and soap to remove all the dirt and grime it has accumulated. This is beneficial to those bird lovers who are having mobility problems.
What I dislike about this feeder is the fact that the clear plastic jar easily becomes opaque. After using this feeder for five months, I noticed that the jar became yellowish. This makes it hard for me to determine the level of nectar inside the jar.
- Has an easy to fill jar
- Has a perch for multiple birds
- Easily attracts birds
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- The clear plastic turns opaque easily
- Wide-mouth reservior and patented two-part base is easy to fill and clean
- The durable polymer feeder features 10 feeding ports, 16 ounce nectar capacity, s-hook, and round perch design
- Innovative sealing ring aids in leak prevention
- Red base attracts inquisitive hummingbirds
4. ShinyArt Hummingbird Feeder – Hand Blown Glass
Plastic bird feeders are very common these days. However, this material is known to be flimsy and easy to crack. If you need bird feeder that will last a very long time, then all you need is the ShinyArt Hummingbird Feeder.
The overall design of this particular bird feeder is nothing short of amazing. The outside appearance of this hand-blown glass has a magnificent painting. This, in turn, reflects a variety of color which is used in attracting the Hummingbirds. Even though this bird feeder is made of glass, I was surprised to see how easy it is to clean. Just water and soap and a little scrub would remove all of the grime it accumulated.
What I don’t appreciate about this bird feeder is its weight. Since it is made of glass, it is naturally heavier compared to plastic bird feeders. I had to reinforce the hook where it is hung in order to prevent it from falling to the ground. Also, because of the painting design, there is no way to know the current level of the nectar. I have to climb a ladder and take a look to determine how much nectar is left inside.
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Can’t determine the nectar level
- ✅ COLORFUL AND ATTRACT MORE HUMMINGBIRDS: The unique and shiny colors make the hummingbird feeder more attractive for hummingbirds. 4...
- ✅ EXQUISITE DESIGN: Our hummingbird feeder is a beautiful piece of art. Featuring gradient colors on the bottle, exquisite floral...
- ✅ RELIABLE MATERIAL: Glass is sturdy and durable, the pigment won't fade and damage. Food grade silicone sealing ring aids in leak...
- ✅ EASY TO FILL AND CLEAN: This clear glass and wide mouth of the feeder is a breeze to clean and fill the nectar in a convenient way....
- ✅ THE PERFECT GIFT: A great gift to your friend or family. They'll Love It! We are always coming out with new models, so be on the...
5. BOLITE 18005 Hummingbird Feeder
If you are into glass bird feeder, you certainly need a durable product that won’t easily break. With BOLITE 18005 Hummingbird Feeder Glass Hummingbird Feeders, you will enjoy the sight of excited birds feeding on this product.
Of all the things that one can observe about this particular bird feeder, it is the design that really caught my attention. I like that the nectar jar is made of glass. This provides a sturdier container for the nectar. The bottle won’t easily crack.
Moreover, its bright red color can easily bring the birds. I also like that the bottom part is made of copper. It can’t get distorted easily even if the whole feeder is exposed to direct sunlight. Plus, this bird feeder is weather-resistant, which is beneficial for every bird enthusiasts.
Another amazing feature of this bird feeder is the feeding ports. Five birds can perch and feed at the same time. This is advantageous especially if there are a lot of hummingbirds in the area. This way, more birds can have their tummies full in just a short period of time.
If there is one disappointing aspect about this product, it would be the fact that it is heavy. You can’t hook it up on just any branch for threat of the branch breaking. It would be best to purchase a feeder pole for this, which means additional expense.
- Can serve up to 22 oz. of nectar
- Can accommodate 5 Hummingbirds at the same time
- Bright red color easily attracts birds
- Easy to clean and fill
- Has a professional guarantee
- Unique Christmas Gifts - Best choices as gift for your parents, friends, neighbors and loved ones. Bird watching gifts for people who love...
- Eye-catching Design - Vintage oval glass hummingbird feeder features a bright red color that is sure to attract more hummingbirds and add a...
- Leak-Proof Construction - Premium metal cap and plastic base with leak-proof edge, no worries about messy spills or wasted nectar.
- Large Nectar Capacity - Glass hummingbird feeder with a generous 22oz nectar capacity, so you won't have to refill it as frequently and can...
- Easy to Fill & Clean - Simply unscrew the container from the base for filling and cleaning. To ensure your hummingbird feeder stays clean...
6. Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder
If your house is located far from the trees but you wish to watch birds up close, there is one bird feeder that can help you. This product is the Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder.
There are so many things that I love about this product. First is its size. Even though it is small and can only serve up to 8 oz. of nectar, it is compact and durable. The plastic material doesn’t crack even if it is exposed in direct sunlight. In addition, it has a bright red colored cover by which the Hummingbirds are attracted to. It has three feeding ports that allows up to three birds to eat at the same time.
Another likable feature of this compact feeder is the suction cups. This feature allows the feeder to be placed on the surface of a glass window. My children are absolutely delighted with this product because it allows them to watch the birds up close and personal.
This bird feeder is totally awesome, except for one minor disappointment. Since this feeder is attached on a glass window, the birds get scared of it. I think it’s because they can see us inside. I’ve noticed it at first but eventually, they have learned to ignore it and go straight for the nectar.
- Comes with two strong suction cups
- Has three feeding ports
- Its bright red colored cover attracts birds
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Hummingbirds are afraid of it at first
- Gold painted buttons
- Super soft cotton
7. Perky-Pet 8108-2 Glass Hummingbird Feeder
Sometimes, you need your bird feeders to have a grand design in order to match your property’s grandeur. Some birdwatchers want antique-looking feeders. If you are searching for a bird feeder with a classical look and feel, this one from Perky-Pet will surely bring some nostalgia to your garden or backyard.
I love this feeder’s classic design. The nectar jar looks some kind of an old bottle from the 1920’s to 1930’s era. The glass itself looks very durable, so I don’t worry that it would crack under intense sunlight. It’s not only its outside appearance that I appreciate. I also like that it has four feeding ports. This allows multiple Hummingbirds to enjoy the sweet nectar inside the jar.
Aside from its sophistication, I also appreciate that this feeder is easy to use and clean. After the contents have been depleted, I can easily refill the jar without using any kind of special tools. Also, the dirt and grime can be easily removed by rinsing it with water and soap.
One thing that I don’t like about this feeder is the color scheme. Green may be refreshing to human eyes, but it blends with environment. Birds have a hard time locating the feeder, thus leaving it vacant for hours. I just wish that it was colored with red or orange in order to attract more birds.
- The nectar jar is made of glass
- The bottom portion is made of ceramic
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- It does not easily attract birds
8. More Birds Glass Hummingbird Feeders
Any garden deserves to be visited not only by butterflies, bees, and other insects but also birds. If you wish to bring more birds in your garden while also decorating it, the best product to use is a bird feeder made by More Birds.
I like this bird feeder as it can really bring in the hummingbirds while adding beauty to my garden. Its jar, which can hold up to 20 oz. of nectar, is made of glass that has a unique antique look. Its base is made of metal. Because of this, I’m not worried that it will break when exposed to intense heat and sunlight. I can simply hang this feeder in my gazebo and let the birds feed all day long.
Another thing that I like about this feeder is its number of feeding ports. It has five ports which can easily accommodate five Hummingbirds. The birds are easily attracted by the red ports that look like flowers. My friends and visitors have a really good time every time they see the birds perching and feeding.
What I don’t appreciate about this product has nothing to do about the product itself but the customer service. I noticed a small chip on the mouth of the jar and tried to contact customer service. The 30-day return period came and went, yet I still haven’t gotten any reply from the manufacturers.
- Nectar jar made of glass
- Has a wide mouth for easy refill
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Bad customer service
- NECTAR CAPACITY: Holds 20 fluid ounces of hummingbird nectar
- FEEDING PORTS: Features five flower-shaped feeding ports to accommodate multiple hummingbirds
- BEAUTIFUL DESIGN: Vintage bottle design provides an antique feel with burnt penny plastic base to extend the life of your feeder
- ATTRACT MORE HUMMINGBIRDS: Red is a hummingbird's favorite color; attract more with the red flower feeding ports
- EASY CLEANING: We recommend washing your hummingbird feeder by hand with warm soapy water. Please refrain from putting your feeder in the...
9. Juegoal Hanging Hummingbird Feeder
If you like camping, there is a chance that you will see birds in your campsite. What better way to brighten up your camping ground than setting up a nice bird feeder? If you are searching for a compact and lightweight bird feeder that can be brought anywhere, this product from Juegoal will satisfy your needs. Of course, you can always use it in your home, too.
I like this small bird feeder so much. It is compact, lightweight, and so portable. It can be brought to anywhere I like. One of my favorite places to hang this feeder is in a campsite where trees are abundant. Its bright red cover is detachable, which makes this particular feeder easy to clean. This also makes the task of refilling it a whole lot easier.
Because of its lightweight feature, it can easily get blown away by a light breeze. This is the one thing that I really don’t appreciate about this product. Every time it falls to the ground, I have to pick it up and hang it again.
- Has 5 feeding ports
- Has a detachable cover
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Easily gets blown away
- Juegoal hummingbird feeder 12 oz nectar capacity with 5 feeding ports.
- It has 12 plastic tips, others will not into the feeder easily.
- Hanging rod opening, can be hung the bird feeder on the hook, tree and outdoor.
- The feeder detachable cover easy to clean and refill.
- Add 12 tips and cleaning brush for free.
10. Perky-Pet 203CPBR Pinchwaist Hummingbird Feeder
If you are tired of seeing the usual design of the bird feeders in the market, there is one particular product that offers a refreshing view. Presenting the Perky-Pet 203CPBR Pinchwaist Hummingbird Feeder – the kind of feeder that will make bird watching more interesting.
What surprised me in a good way about this product is its unusual design. The whole feeder itself looks like a wildflower. This is really good for those who have a garden full of exotic flowers. I have placed this feeder on a tree branch and it really catches your attention, what more for the birds? In addition, the feeding ports are made to look like flowers. This makes photographing the hummingbirds really fun.
Its bright red color calls the attention of the Hummingbirds that are flying nearby. Once they get a taste of the sweet nectar inside the jar, they keep coming back for more!
If there is one thing that I don’t appreciate about this particular bird feeder, it would be the leaks. To my surprise, I found a slow stream of liquid coming from the bottom portion of the nectar jar. When I checked the warranty for replacement, it was already expired. I had to purchase another one to continue feeding the hummingbirds in my area.
- The nectar jar is made of glass
- Has four flower-shaped feeding ports
- Easy to set up
- Easy to clean
- Has a leaking issue
- Easy-to-fill and clean wide-mouth opening
- Translucent Red glass bottle attracts hummingbirds
- Four flower-shaped feeding ports with removable perches
- Protect nectar with built-in ant moat and bee guards
- Feeder base comes apart for easy cleaning
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is a hummingbird feeder?
A hummingbird feeder is a feeder made specifically to attract the unique taste of hummingbirds. As opposed to other ordinary feeders wherein you just need to place bird food and nuts, hummingbird feeders need to cater to this bird’s favorites, which are fruits and nectar. The feeder must then be able to hold liquid while being hung on a branch or a feeder pole.
Hummingbird feeders are also created with the long thin beaks of hummingbirds in mind, so the liquid containers are typically deep and have covers with small holes. These characteristics allow for ease of access and comfortable feeding for hummingbirds.
How does it work?
It’s easy; you just need to place a sugar mix inside, replace the cover, and place in your designated spot. Feeders with colorful visage that imitate flowers help attract hummingbirds to them.
What are the different types of hummingbird feeder?
There are only two types of hummingbird feeders, and these are the inverted jar type and the bowl type. Both of them are nectar feeders that hold a varying amount of sugar mix in them. Let’s discuss the difference.
Inverted Jar Feeder – this feeder is a large volume type. It can hold anywhere between 10 ounces to 40 ounces of nectar, depending on the unit. This works by filling up the jar with nectar, and then screwing the cover and perch in. The jar is then hung upside down. If the feeder is well-made, the water will not leak out and will continuously provide nectar to the bottom cover when hummingbirds feed from it.
The advantage of this feeder is that you won’t have to refill it constantly because of its huge volume. The disadvantage is that because of the jar, you won’t have a complete view of the feeder, and you might not see hummingbirds feeding on the other side.
Bowl-type feeder – this is a small-volume feeder that can hold between five and 15 ounces of nectar. Just fill the bowl with the sugar mix, place the cover with hook, and then hang. The birds perch on the cover or on perch rods and drink from the covered bowl.
The benefit of this type is that you have a 360-degree view of feeder, making sure you can see any hummingbird feeding at all times. The disadvantage though is that you will have to refill it more often than the inverted jar type.
Why do you need a hummingbird feeder?
If you use a generic bird feeder, you will likely attract other birds, but no hummingbirds. As previously mentioned, hummingbirds feed on the nectar of flowers, and would sometimes eat small insects. But they are not interested in nuts or seeds.
Because of their specialized needs, you would have to provide a specialized tool. That’s where a hummingbird feeder comes in. This feeder may attract other birds as well, but they will definitely attract hummingbirds to your place.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular hummingbird feeder brands?
There are several hummingbird feeders available in the market today, but not all are created equal. Some are cheap while others are not. You shouldn’t judge a feeder by the price but by the quality and the brand’s reliability. Here are my most recommended brands for feeders:
First Nature – this company specializes in producing hummingbird feeders and even nectar concentrates. Their products are specially designed with a deep understanding of hummingbirds.
Aspects – this brand creates various types of products for garden and wildlife enthusiasts. Their products are made in the USA and are of very high quality. You can count on their products for self-use or even for gifts. You won’t be disappointed.
Perky Pet – this company has been around since 1958. They offer several types of bird feeders in the lineup, and I’ve tried almost all of them. It’s a brand I trust for whatever bird feeding needs I have.
More Birds – this is a classic brand for bird feeders, much like Perky Pet. They have a wide range of feeder items for various types of birds. This is a trustworthy brand that I have been using for years.
How to keep ants out of hummingbird feeder?
Ants are always a problem for hummingbird feeders because of the sugar mix. You can stop these insects from dominating your feeder by using an ant moat wherever the ant can pass through.
You can also apply petroleum jelly on the hanging rods or string to make it slippery for ants to crawl on.
Where to hang a hummingbird feeder?
You can hang it on a branch nearby, or on a hook at your porch. If you want to place it in the middle of your garden, you can use a bird feeder pole to serve as stand.
When not eating, hummingbirds prefer to stay in the shade or cover of a structure. When possible, they all prioritize energy conservation.
The optimal location for hanging a hummingbird feeder is between 10 and 15 feet away from a tree, shrub, or other suitable hiding places. They get a spot to rest and remain out of the sun by doing this.
Helpless hummingbirds, on the other hand, will value a quick hiding place from the feeder. As such, giving them a shrub or tree close by accomplishes that.
More so, you should always hang hummingbird feeders high enough to prevent predators from swooping at the birds.
Keep in mind that an unsafe hummingbird feeder can harm the birds. So you must hang the feeders either very near windows or far enough away so that birds can fly around them without worrying about collisions.
How to clean?
Maintenance is a necessary aspect when buying bird feeders in order to prevent causing and spreading diseases. Cleaning a hummingbird feeder is simple; all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Remove the cover and hook.
- Scrape off bird droppings on the perch and cover.
- Get rid of the remaining nectar in the bowl or jar.
- Wash both the cover and jar or bowl with soap and water mix.
- Rinse completely.
- Allow to air dry before using again.
Clean as regularly as twice a week if you have a lot of birds in the area.
Where to buy?
Bird feeders are available in local pet stores, as well as in big franchise pet shops such as Petco and PetSmart. Sometimes you can even find them in Home Depot, Lowe’s or Walmart.
If you can’t find the exact product you want in these local physical shops, you can always check Amazon. You won’t even have to step out of your home to buy one when you purchase online.
Hummingbird Fun Facts
Here are some things you never knew about this beautiful bird:
- Hummingbirds are considered lucky. Before a significant occasion, such as a hunting trip or a trip to another town, seeing a hummingbird was regarded as a positive omen.
- It represents knowledge, charm, fidelity, and love. These tiny birds are revered for their ability to defend their area and engage in intense combat.
- Hummingbirds lack an olfactory sense, but they have excellent color vision. However, the red dye shouldn’t be added to nectar because it can hurt the birds. Plant red or orange flowers instead, or utilize feeders with red coloring on the framework.
- Only hummingbirds have the ability to fly both forward and backward. They can even fly sideways, and upside-down, they can also hover in midair.
- Another mind-blowing fact is that hummingbirds cannot hop or walk.
- Hummingbirds move their tongues in and out roughly 12 times per second as they consume the nectar from feeders. They can eat as much as double their full weight in one day.
- The angle at which the light strikes the feathers determines the colors you can see. The gorget of hummingbirds appears to glitter from some angles when their feathers reflect light, yet they appear dull from other perspectives.
- Most of their feather colors are not a result of pigments. Their colors come from prism-like cells in the top layer of feathers.
Having hummingbirds visit your garden is a wonderful opportunity to appreciate nature. Attracting them is not that difficult. Grow some bright flowering plants to attract them into your yard, and then offer their favorite food – nectar! For this purpose, you must have a bird feeder specialized for hummingbirds. The best hummingbird feeder will not only entice them but will keep them coming back for more. Imagine the beautiful melody of these birds waking you up in the morning, and keeping you company throughout the day!
Here is another favorite pick you might like: First Nature Hummingbird Feeder: Our Honest Review for 2023 Updated!
Last update on 2023-09-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API